RSS

Grace and our great high priest

01 May

Reading through Hebrews chapter 8 this morning I was again reminded of the cross. I am reminded of the work God accomplished there. Through what God accomplished at the cross, we, the chosen of God, were justified. These who were justified  encountered grace. The particular grace I am writing of here is the grace given in our great high priest. At the point our Lord perished on the cross the heavy curtain in the temple that seperated the people from the jewish high priest, and holy of holies, was torn in two. Because of that grace, the justified now have access to the one and only holy God through Christ our savior. (Heb. 10:19-21) Oh, what a Savior!

In reference to this scripture I came across a little Purtian prayer:

Grace

O God, may Thy Spirit speak in me that I may speak to Thee. I Lord Jesus, great high priest, Thou hast opened a new and living way by which a fallen creature can approach Thee with acceptance.

Help me to contemplate the dignity of Thy Person, the perfectness of Thy sacrifice, the effectiveness of Thy intercession.

O what blessedness accompanies devotion, when under all the trials that weary me, the cares that corrode me, the fears that disturb me, the infirmities that oppress me, I can come to Thee in my need and feel peace beyond understanding!

The grace that restores is necessary to preserve, lead, guard, supply, help me.  And here Thy saints encourage my hope; they were once poor and are now rich, bound and are now free, tried and now are victorious.

Every new duty calls for more grace than I now possess, but not more than is found in Thee, the divine treasury in whom all fullness dwells.  To Thee I repair for grace upon grace, until every void made by sin be replenished and I am filled with all Thy fullness.

May my desires be enlarged and my hopes emboldened, that I may honour Thee by my entire dependency and the greatness of my expectation.

Do Thou be with me, and prepare me for all the smiles of prosperity, the frowns of adversity, the losses of substance, the death of friends, the days of darkness, the changes of life, and the last great change of all. May I find thy grace sufficient for all my needs.

This thought provoking prayer about grace and our high priest can be found in a book titled “Valley of Vision, A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions“.

Advertisements

Tags: ,

6 responses to “Grace and our great high priest

1. Erik

May 4, 2008 at 9:18 am

Fantasic post from one of the best books to read if you struggle with HOW to pray. The Valley of Vision has been such an enormous aid for me when I simply do not know what to say. Those Puritans certainly knew how to pray and I’m VERY grateful these prayers are in print to help this feeble one.

2. barrydean

May 5, 2008 at 11:04 am

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the comment. I love reading the Puritan prayers. They are so God-centered and humbling. It is why I like the book “Valley of Vision”. I also like the worship CD of the same title put out by Sovereign Grace Ministries.

Interesting spelling for your first name. I only know of another with the same spelling and he just happens to be one of our assistant pastors. He also runs the blog site IrishCalvinist.

I checked out your blog site. I like it. You have done a very good job of making it look interesting. I will have to bookmark it and put it in my blogroll.

Thanks for stopping by.

3. Leo

May 6, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I first came across that book many moons ago when I received it from Grace to You – John MacArthur’s Ministry. It was a big help to me back then around 1994 or so. Interesting that a visiting preacher brought it up a couple of weeks ago and now you are. Perhaps I need to find it again and start using it!

4. barrydean

May 6, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Perhaps Leo. Perhaps. It contains some wonderful prayers.

5. Faheem Qaiser

June 13, 2008 at 11:15 am

“Faith cometh by hearing and hearing from the Word of God”(Romans, 10:17)
    Dear Brother in Christ,
    Greetings from Pakistan.
    I am Fahim Qaisor from Pakistan . I have studied your web site, and I found it the most wonderful site to get right to the True Word of God. I found that all your material is full of knowledge concerning development of religious faith. Living in Pakistan we Christians is to face many obstacles to get the access to the Word of God. Most of the people in Pakistan are not capable to understand the English language. It’s because our national language is Urdu. My suggestion for you is to create your material in my language of Urdu and Punjabi also. It will bring lots of blessings of the Word of God for the Pakistani and Indian Urdu and Punjabi speaking people. For that purpose I as a translator will bring your material into Urdu languages and into Punjabi language as well. Although it will take your low expenses as well, as fund for the Word of God to reach out to the deserving people. As a translator I will take the expenses that will be spending just for the Word.
    “There is nothing more precious than to red and listen the Word of God into your own language.”
    Sincerely,
    Fahim Qaisor (Pakistan)

6. barrydean

June 13, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Fahim,

Thank you for the wonderful comment. I have done some research and found that iGoogle has a tool that will allow you to translate from English to many other languages. The tool can be found at the link below.