RSS

Anti-worship

21 Jul

On Sunday morning my pastor, Patrick Abendroth, has been doing a series on worship.Neyland Stadium The first three parts centered on what worship is. The fourth and fifth installments focus on the often controversial topic of music in worship. Last week Pat pointed out six of the twelve misconceptions of musical worship. The misconception point I particularly liked was number 5, “Loud Music is Unbiblical.” He pointed to passages such as Psalm 95, and Psalm 98:4, and 2 Chronicles 30:21 which states:

The sons of Israel present in Jerusalem celebrated the Feast of Unleavened Bread {for} seven days with great joy, and the Levites and the priests praised the LORD day after day with loud instruments to the LORD.

I liked this because I usually like my music loud, with drums and electric guitars. The misconception is that worship music should be somber and suppressed. I know as Reformers and Calvinists we are known for theology and doctrine but not emotion. What’s wrong with a little emotion? What’s wrong WITH A LOT OF EMOTION! Pastor Pat did ask a humbling question. Do we worship God like we do in the stadiums on Saturday’s in the fall of the year? You know…college football. (There were many Nebraska Husker fans including myself in attendance) Yes, we do get loud for that. I would like to turn that a bit. I would like to state that what might actually be going on in front of the televisions, or in the stands, is anti-worship. Anti-worship at least where God is concerned. What is anti-worship? I would contend it is idolatry. Idolatry is the worship of something other than almighty God. When we put other things before God it is idolatry. We should be concerned with the worship of God alone. Because worship does matter. It matters to God.

The audio for the Worship Matters series can be found on this audio page.

I found a brief video from Mark Driscoll at Mars Hill Church that refers to what I am talking about as anti-worship or idolatry. It’s only a couple of minutes long. Check it out.

Advertisements

6 responses to “Anti-worship

1. Leo

July 22, 2007 at 10:23 am

It doesn’t sound as though the chosen are so frozen at your place of worship, that’s a good thing!

The Driscoll cut was just that cutting to the quick as our friends from a century or two gone by would have said. Idolatry takes many forms each each equally insidious. Ouch!

2. barrydean

July 23, 2007 at 10:17 am

Well I hope not. Since our pastor has done this series the worship in song has become more enthusiastic.

That Mark Driscoll is a shoot’em from the hip kind preacher. I like it.

3. pastorsteve

July 24, 2007 at 1:25 am

Barry,
    I think your football loyalties are clear from your picture. Mr. Vol. err i mean Go Big Red!

4. barrydean

July 24, 2007 at 1:41 am

Steve,

Thanks brother. I have loyalties to Big Red as well. Big Orange is the only college football team I would root for against Big Red. I won’t easily forget the 1997 Orange Bowl. Westside Church in Omaha hosted an Orange Bowl party in their youth big room. They had several tables set up for folks to sit at. Our family and another family were the only folks at the lone Tennessee table among the other 25 of so Nebraska tables. We didn’t have much to cheer about that night. Neb. 42 – Tenn. 17 but it was a character building game for the Volunteers. The very next season we won the National Title.

5. anwoth

July 26, 2007 at 2:16 am

Barry, Driscoll is absolutely right. I used to tell my teens at our church that our “god” is whatever we sacrifice to, whether that be alligators, volcanoes, tv, movies, friends, popularity or money. God help us to be Christ worshipers!

6. barrydean

July 27, 2007 at 9:48 pm

Howdy Will,

Yeah. Driscoll often hits me where I live. I appreciate his bluntness. I commented on someone’s blog posting this morning where the subject was similar to the one here. The subject was along the lines of idolatry and discontentment. He used the term “technolust” to describe his struggle with the love of gadgets. It was interesting and self-revealing for me as well.